Outline of the Excellence Programme
Training in synthesis, spectroscopy and theory
The HRSMC Excellence Programme is a two-year Programme that covers the three areas of Synthesis, Spectroscopy, and Theory.
During their first year, the students will follow compulsory and elective courses. For these courses, the following needs to be taken into account:
- at least 6 EC within the UL Chemistry Master if you are inscribed in the UV/VU joint Chemistry Master and vice versa;
- within each research area of the HRSMC (1. synthesis, 2. spectroscopy and 3. theory) at least one course needs to be followed.
During their first and second year, students will participate in at least 2 x 6 ECTS mini-research projects and one long graduation project of at least 42 ECTS. These are the minimum requirements, extension of projects is possible.
- the three internships involve at least one in Amsterdam (UvA or VU) and one at the UL; and
- the three internships cover at least two of the three research areas of the HRSMC (synthesis, spectroscopy and theory).
All students are expected to attend the annual HRSMC symposium. This is a unique and important activity for the HRSMC since it engages the entire scope of molecular chemistry. It provides also an excellent opportunity for the students to network amongst HRSMC staff members, postdocs and PhD students. Students will also be invited for the staff dinner after the HRSMC symposium.
HRSMC Courses and School
The HRSMC Excellence students can also participate in HRSMC courses (except Molecular Modeling, this is only for PhD students) and attend one HRSMC school. Fees will be covered by the HRSMC. For these activities the students will get a HRSMC certificate. No marks will be given.
Research proposal (3EC)
During the second year, typically during their graduation internship, the students will choose one or more staff members of the HRSMC for discussions and consultations regarding the research subject for their research proposal. Students have complete freedom in choosing a topic as long as it fits within the research programme of the HRSMC.
Students will be encouraged to involve more than one HRSMC research groups in their proposal, and they will write their proposal following a template that will be downloadable from the HRSMC website. The student can defend his/her proposal for a panel of HRSMC staff members (pitch).
ECTS Excellence Programme
The Excellence Programme comprises at least 15 EC extra to the regular master programme and has to be finished in 2.5 years. Completion of the HRSMC Excellence Programme, including marks, will be mentioned in the extracurricular part of the Master diploma/degree.
The 15 EC (minimum) are composed of:
- One rotation (6 EC) in a different city, finished with a grade (positive).
- One cursorial course (6EC) in a different city, finished with a grade (positive).
- Writing a research proposal (3EC), assessed with a ‘pass’.
The followed HRSMC courses and schools will only be mentioned on the HRSMC certificate.